900 MHz NPRM Released
- Seeks comment on alternate approaches to realigning the band;
- Proposes to license the broadband segment on a geographic basis;
- Proposes to authorize a market-driven, voluntary exchange process that would allow existing licensees to agree voluntarily on a plan for relocating incumbents and transitioning the band for broadband use;
- Seeks comment on two other methods of transitioning the band to broadband use — an auction of overlay licenses and an incentive auction — as potential additional tools for repurposing this spectrum; and
- Proposes to designate the 900 MHz broadband service as a Miscellaneous Wireless Communications service governed by the licensing and operating rules applicable to all Part 27 services.